Wednesday 13 March 2013

French Onion Soup

Continuing the French theme from my last post, I decided to share my favorite recipe for French Onion soup. I'm not entirely sure how authentic this is but it seems pretty close to what I had in Paris and it's the recipe my Mom makes... therefore, it's authentic to me! I think this might have originally come from the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook that every mother (in America at least) seems to own - we even have the edition my grandma Dorothy Guido used. It also happens to be the cookbook I'm currently coveting so if it goes missing from my Mom's kitchen, she'll probably know who did it... 


Ingredients

Onions ready for slicing

Anyway, one of my favorite things about this soup is how quickly it comes together. This is followed at a close second by the fact that it's surprisingly cheap as well. Wine can be expensive but since I don't drink red wine, I just get the little sample size bottles since that seems to be the perfect amount for this recipe and that way I don't have any leftover. Also, at less than 2 pounds each, they don't break the budget either. As far as the beef bouillon goes, use whatever you feel comfortable with since I know different brands have different sodium levels and that can really impact the final dish.  


Pre-melting of the cheese



Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 30 min
Serves: 6

Ingredients: 

1/4 cup butter
3 large onions
1 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon all purpose flour
1 sample size bottle of red wine (or 1 cup)
1L water

2-3 beef bouillon cubes
1 baguette 
1 package of swiss cheese

Method: 


Over medium heat, melt the butter and add the sliced onions. Let them saute for a few minutes and then add the sugar and cook for about five minutes further. Once the onions are nicely softened, add the flour and mix well to incorporate with the onions and pan juices. Cook for two minutes and then add the water, wine and beef bouillon cubes. Turn the heat up to high and bring to a boil. When the soup is boiling, reduce the heat and let simmer for about ten minutes covered. When ready to serve, slice the baguette into rounds (approximately an inch in width). Place on top of the soup in each bowl and add slices of the cheese. Either pop under the broiler or in the microwave until melted. Enjoy! 


No comments:

Post a Comment