Wednesday 20 February 2013

Valentine's Main: Rib Eye Steak with Marsala Cream Sauce

While wandering around my local Morrisons I noticed that their beef steaks were on offer because of Valentine's day. So, I took advantage and picked up some great rib eyes. Delicious! But what to serve with them? Last time I visited my parents in Rome, I had an amazing green peppercorn sauce and really wanted to try making that at home. However, after tasting my peppercorns, I found them to be really strong and was a bit worried that they would completely overpower the sauce. So, I decided to throw in a few other ingredients to temper the peppercorns. I think next time I try this I'll probably use my pestle and mortar to break up the peppercorns a bit before adding them to the sauce. Essentially this was a marsala cream sauce with a few peppercorns so if you don't have peppercorns, don't worry!

Ingredients

Onion, garlic and peppercorn mixture after the Marsala wine had cooked off.

Simmering sauce

Although you see mustard in the ingredients picture, I ultimately didn't use it because the sauce had lots of flavor on it's own. I also didn't use salt because the bouillon cube is already quite salty. Overall, this was a great main course for our special dinner and I'll post the recipes for the two sides (roasted cherry tomatoes and white beans with prosciutto and herbs) in a separate post. Be sure to take the steaks out of the fridge 20 minutes before you want to cook them so they can cook evenly. I brought them out when the starter was ready so that they could come to room temperature while we ate. Perfect! I had already made the sauce so that way we only had a few minutes between each course. 

Steak!

Finished dish ready for the sauce


Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 20 min
Serves: 2

Ingredients:

1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 an onion, finely chopped
2-3 garlic cloves, finely minced
20 green peppercorns in brine, drained and rinsed
100-150ml whipping cream
1 tsp mixed herbs
1 tsp thyme
1/4 - 1/2 cup Marsala wine
1/2 a beef bouillion
2 rib eye steaks

Method:

Heat the olive oil in a pan and add the onion. Saute for a minute before adding the garlic and stir to combine. When the garlic is fragrant and the onion has softened, add the peppercorns and continue to cook over a low heat. After a few minutes, add the marsala wine and the herbs and increase the heat to medium. When the wine has simmered for a few minutes, it should start to be absorbed into the onion mixture and the pan will have noticeably less liquid in it. Reduce the heat and add the cream and beef bouillion. Allow to simmer and thicken to the consistency you prefer.

For the steaks, place a grill pan over medium high heat and brush with olive oil. Season the steaks with salt and pepper generously and lay in the pan. Allow to cook for 3 minutes before flipping and then allow 3 further minutes on that side. Cooking time will depend on how well done you prefer your steak and also their size. 

No comments:

Post a Comment