Friday 31 July 2015

Quick lunch: Zucchini Fritters

Hello lovely readers! 

The Cookbook Challenge has been a lot of fun so far and has had the intended effect of reinvigorating my interest in cooking and blogging. As a result, I'll be trying to include a few non-Cookbook Challenge recipes here on the blog as I come across tasty treats. Today's post is one of these delicious discoveries... zucchini fritters! 


As I'm currently working from home, I've been trying to take advantage of this fact to make more interesting lunches than I'd be able to if I was in an office environment. These little fritters were so easy to put together and surprisingly satisfying. I only had one sad little zucchini knocking around in the bottom of the fridge so I think in the future I might use two in order to up the actual veggie factor. However, this recipe was really forgiving so even if you don't have an excess of zucchini to use up, you'll still be in for a nice lunch. 


I had mine with some leftover Indian spiced veggies so I added a bit of mango chutney to continue the inadvertent Indian theme. However, I think these would be amazing topped with a poached egg. You could even add hollandaise if you're feeling fancy! Seriously, these little fritters are so versatile that they could be paired with just about anything... leftover chili, cottage cheese and tomatoes, or even topped with ham and cheese as an open-faced mini sandwich. This recipe also seems to be pretty forgiving so you could even try swapping out the parmesan for cheddar or mozzarella and even adding in green onion or other tasty additions. The possibilities are endless and so I hope you enjoy them as much as I have! 


Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 5 min
Serves: 2

Ingredients:

1-2 zucchini, grated
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup grated Parmesan 
1 egg
2 cloves garlic, minced 
Salt and Pepper to taste
Olive oil 

Method:

Place the grated zucchini in a colander over a bowl. Mix in the salt and leave to drain for ten minutes. 

When the zucchini is ready, move to a large bowl and mix in the flour, Parmesan, garlic and egg. Stir thoroughly to create a batter. Add salt and pepper to taste.

In a large pan, heat a few tablespoons of olive oil over a medium heat. Drop spoonfuls of batter carefully into the oil. Allow to brown on one side before flipping to brown the other. When ready, remove from the pan to a plate lined with paper towels to soak up the excess oil. Continue this process until you have used up all of the batter. Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment