Saturday 26 January 2013

Chili

I have a confession to make. I've used those little seasoning packets to make tacos, chili and fajitas for far too long. And I know that the following list of spices is going to look insanely long and you're going to think, "forget it, I'm using the packets" and I wouldn't blame you. However, since investing in the spices, I've used them a million times in a million different recipes so they are definitely worth the initial cost. If the mix seems too dry, add some beef stock to reach the consistency you prefer. I tend to use canned red kidney beans because on weekdays, I don't have time to soak dried beans properly. I know some people feel strongly about beans in chili (love them, hate them, or feel that dried is always best) so adjust according to your personal tastes. Finally, while I'm from Virginia, I don't come from a long line of champion chili cook-off chefs or anything like that. This may not be an official recipe but it's what works for me and I hope you'll like it too. As always, change the spices and amounts according to what you have in your cupboards/your level of heat tolerance.

Spices

Ingredients 

Finished product 
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 30 - 60 min
Serves: 4-6

Ingredients:

1-2 tbsp olive oil
500g beef mince
1 onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, sliced
1-2 chili, finely chopped
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground corriander
1/2 tsp chili flakes
1 tsp onion granules
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 yellow bell pepper, chopped
1 can chopped tomatoes
100-200 ml beef stock
1 can red kidney beans
Shredded cheese (optional)
Green onion, sliced (optional)
Olives, black or green, sliced (optional)
Sour cream (optional)
Rice (optional)

Method: 

In a pot over medium heat, add the olive oil, beef mince and onion and start to brown. When the beef is half finished browning, add the garlic slices and the chopped chilies. When the onion has softened and the meat has browned, add the spices and mix well. Allow to saute together for a minute and then add the bell pepper pieces. Cook over medium heat for 3 minutes, until the peppers start to soften. Toss in the chopped tomatoes, beef stock and the red kidney beans and mix thoroughly. Lower the heat and simmer for half an hour. Serve with cheese, sour cream, green onion, rice and olives. Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment