Sunday 13 January 2013

Sour Cream Enchiladas

It is currently FREEZING in London, which is particularly upsetting since January started out fairly mild. I'm not much of a cold weather person so when it gets cold, I start craving warm and filling foods... which usually means something cheesy and delicious. However, as noted in the previous post, I've been trying to keep my food choices on the healthier end of the scale and therefore avoiding cheese if possible. So when the craving for enchiladas struck, I started hunting around the internet for a solution to my cheesy problem.

Ingredients (minus the chicken)

Spices used

Sour cream enchiladas might not seem like the perfect solution when taken at face value. I mean, there's sour cream and cheese - not a brilliant combination for someone looking to skip dairy. However, I also think that cutting something completely out of your diet isn't a great way to go about things because you'll probably end up craving it so badly that you'll eat something really horrible for you instead. So, I went ahead with the recipe and, by choosing low fat sour cream and cheese, I managed to keep the calories for each enchilada at 386* (with 27g of carbs, 17g of fat and 31g of protein), which I think is a pretty reasonable amount for dinner (especially since I could only manage one - they're so filling!). I had thought to skip the cheese altogether and just top the enchiladas with some of my queso fresco but in the end I chickened out. Having never had these enchiladas before, I thought skipping the cheese would mean losing a major component. However, the sauce is so flavorful and delicious that in the future I think I'll go ahead and leave the cheese out since it barely makes an impact in the overall dish. Also, I must have overfilled the enchiladas because I ended up with ten instead of twelve so I think next time I'll use the chicken a bit more sparingly. Plus twelve enchiladas would take the calorie count down to 321* (23g of carbs, 14g of fat, 25g of protein).

Chicken in the pan

Chicken in the oven
Assembling the enchiladas

Fresh out of the oven!

I didn't have tomatillos or anything resembling them so I couldn't follow the recipe exactly as it was laid out on Homesick Texan. So instead I added ground chili powder and onion granules to the sour cream sauce and increased the amounts of cayenne and cumin. I think what really makes this dish are the fresh chili peppers - I used medium heat ones and they were perfect for me. I've adjusted the recipe below to include the ingredients that I used and the measurements involved. With the sour cream, I could only find it in 300ml containers so I just used two of those, even though it was more than the recipe called for. I just hate having tiny amounts of things left in the fridge so I'd rather just use it up. Finally, I used flour tortillas because I prefer the taste but I'm sure the recipe is equally nice with the corn versions!

Finished with cilantro/coriander and queso fresco

Finished and ready to eat!


Recipe by: www.homesicktexan.blogspot.com

Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 60 min
Serves: 6

Ingredients: 

1 tbsp olive oil
Salt
Pepper
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 tbsp butter
3 medium heat chili peppers, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp flour
2 cups/500ml chicken stock (1 boullion cube)
2 cups/600ml low fat sour cream
1 tbsp cayenne
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tbsp onion granules
1/2 tbsp chili powder
30g fresh cilantro/corriander, chopped
250g low fat cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 a white onion, finely chopped
10-12 flour tortillas
1/2 cup queso fresco, crumbled (optional)

Method: 

Preheat the oven to 350f or 175c.

Add the olive oil to a frying pan over medium-high heat and cook the chicken for three minutes on each side before placing them on a baking tray. Bake for 30 minutes until the chicken is no longer pink. While the chicken cooks, melt the butter in a sauce pot over medium heat. Add the chopped chili peppers and saute until soft. Next add the garlic and, when fragrant, whisk in the flour. Cook for about a minute, stirring constantly to ensure the flour is nicely incorporated. While continuing to whisk, slowly add the chicken stock and mix until thickened (about two to three minutes). Next add the sour cream, spices, and 3/4 of the chopped cilantro/coriander and mix well. Meanwhile, remove the chicken from the onion and shred into bite sized pieces. Make sure to keep the oven on so the enchiladas can go straight in.

To construct the enchiladas, first add a cup of the sour cream sauce to the baking container. Next, layer a small handful of chicken, cheese (this is according to your tastes: use more or less depending on how you prefer your enchiladas), and about a tablespoon of chopped raw onion to each flour tortilla. Roll the tortilla up and place seam side down in the pan. Continue until all the ingredients have been used. Cover the tortillas with the remaining sauce and any remaining cheese or onion. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and top with remaining cilantro/coriander and crumbled queso fresco. And enjoy!

*I use www.myfitnesspal.com to estimate the calorie contents of meals. It has a really useful feature that lets you put in recipe ingredients and it will work out how many calories, carbs, fat and protein you'll have for each serving. So these numbers are probably not as accurate as they could be but I find it helpful to have at least a vague idea about the overall nutrition of my meals. 

No comments:

Post a Comment