Sunday 28 April 2013

Beauty Caper: Epsom Salt Scrub

Time for a different sort of caper... a beauty caper! I've been on the hunt for affordable do it yourself beauty products that won't require costly trips to the shops since I can never make it out of Boots or Superdrug with ONLY what I went in to get. So, I did a little bit of internet searching and Epsom Salt seemed like a good place to start. These salts have a lot of health uses, such as being added to a bath to help draw out toxins etc. However, I was most interested in the idea of an Epsom Salt scrub since my skin gets a bit dry and itchy when the weather changes. For example, the last few days have been horrible with the warm - cold - warm - cold changes. Very annoying!

Side view of the scrub

However, I've been really happy with this scrub so far. I use it on my face and find it gives great softness and makes my skin seem brighter and smoother. I've been trying to use it once a week since I think more than that might cause irritation since the salt crystals are a bit rough and so far I've have fewer breakouts and redness. Very pleased as it also makes a great foot scrub during an at home pedicure. I ordered 3 kilos of Epsom Salt off Amazon for 7 pounds so it's definitely a cheaper option than some of the scrubs you find in the pharmacy. This mix only used half a cup of the salts so I have tons left for other uses... just need to do some more research on what to use them for! If you have any suggestions, let me know! This scrub should be ok for a month or so... I made this before my recent trip to Rome so it's been nearly a month already and it still seems fine. Quick tip: I like to use my normal facial cleanser first to remove my make up, then use this scrub and finish with a quick swipe with regular soap since that helps to remove the residue from the oil. Also, make sure to give the jar a quick shake before use to recombine the ingredients.

View from above when it hasn't been mixed up yet.

Ingredients: 

1/2 cup Epsom Salt
1/2 cup Olive Oil
Jar with an airtight lid. 

Method: 

Mix the salt and oil in a bowl until nicely combined. Pour into the jar and keep in a cool place/out of direct sunlight for a month or so. Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment