Tuesday 19 November 2013

Cornbread

Cornbread, I love you.

Dry ingredients
Seriously - life is better with cornbread in it! In the past I've used those little packets of Jiffy corn muffin mix but those aren't readily available here in the UK. So, I had to branch out into the world of making it yourself. And guess what: it's stupidly easy. This method was for a baking dish but you could also make muffins if you prefer.

Ready for the oven


All you need is cornmeal which my local Tesco had in abundant supply. The rest of the ingredients are probably already kicking around your cupboards. I was impressed at how quickly this came together and that the result wasn't overly sweet. I know some people prefer their cornbread to be on the sweet side so feel free to add a bit more sugar if you'd like! This was spot on for me... a little butter and I was all set! This recipe was from the BBC Food website and I've left it pretty much intact.

Ready to eat!
Recipe via www.bbc.co.uk

Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 20-25 min
Serves: 8

Ingredients: 

375g plain flour (I used a mix of plain and self rising because I ran out and it was fine)
225g cornmeal
1 tsp salt
4 tsp baking powder
110g sugar
480 ml milk
2 large eggs
110g melted butter (plus extra for greasing)

Method: 

Preheat oven to 200C / 390F.

Mix all the ingredients thoroughly and pour into a greased baking dish. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until completely cooked through depending on your oven. Allow to cool slightly before cutting into portions.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment