Wednesday 30 April 2014

Weekday Breakfast: Baked Egg and Beans

I have to confess that I'm not much of a breakfast person and this is primarily due to laziness. Given the option between getting up and having a healthy breakfast before work or sleeping fifteen minutes longer, I'll always choose the sleep. However, the current tube strike means I've been working from home for the last two days so I thought I'd use this as an opportunity to try out a few breakfast dishes. 

Beans ready for the egg topping
Baked eggs are a really healthy option since they don't use any oil or butter while cooking. I have another recipe where the egg is baked in a bell pepper but, since I didn't have any bell peppers in the fridge, I thought I'd try branching out a bit. I had purchased the little 200g cans of baked beans so for this recipe, you only need half (or a quarter of the regular cans).

Egg and beans ready for the oven
While in Tesco the other day, I had a sudden craving for baked beans on toast so I picked up a few little cans of Heinz baked beans and some soda bread. So of course, this seemed like a great chance to use them! This recipe was super easy and the cooking time (10-15 min) means you could pop it in the oven, jump in the shower, and then have a tasty breakfast waiting when you get out. I left mine in slightly too long so be warned: keep an eye on it during the last minute or so. You mainly are just waiting for the white to set but if you prefer a more cooked yolk then leave it in a bit longer. It was still tasty albeit slightly less photogenic...

Finished product! 
Prep Time: 1 min
Cook Time: 10-15 min
Serves: 1 

Ingredients: 

100g baked beans
1 large egg
Salt and Pepper
Bread to serve

Method:

Preheat the oven to 190C/375F.

In a small ramekin, spoon the baked beans into the bottom and spread them out to make a nice bed for the egg. When ready, crack the egg on top and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.

Bake for ten to fifteen minutes and serve with buttered toast. Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment