Friday 17 May 2013

Easy Kimchi

As my friend Sora can attest, I love me some kimchi. Every time we pop into a Korean restaurant, we have to have this as a mandatory side dish. I just think it's the most delicious thing out there. Anyway, I'd never really thought about making it at home (despite watching lots of videos online about different recipes etc) until I was faced with a massive surplus of cabbage after last month's food challenge. So, it seemed to be a pretty good time to give it a whirl. 

Kimchi! 

This recipe comes from Maangchi, like most of my Korean food attempts. It should be noted that this is "Emergency Kimchi" because she often makes this version when she's away from home and unable to get the more traditional Napa cabbage. Using regular white cabbage means the consistency is a bit different but this recipe is also a lot simpler than more traditional ones and therefore I think it's a pretty fair trade off. 

Recipe via www.maangchi.com 

Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: N/A

Ingredients: 

2 pounds white cabbage, thinly sliced
1 cup water
1/4 cup salt 
1 bunch, green onions, sliced 
1 carrot, chopped into match sticks
1 tbsp sugar
1/3 cup hot pepper flakes
1/4 cup fish sauce
1/4 cup minced garlic

Method: 

Mix the cabbage, water and salt and set aside for 10 minutes to let cabbage wilt a bit. Rinse thoroughly with water and set aside. In another bowl, mix the remaining ingredients until well combined before slowly adding the cabbage. Make sure all the cabbage is coated in the paste and move to an airtight container. Enjoy! 



No comments:

Post a Comment