Monday 6 May 2013

Travel Caper: Rome Restaurants

Buon giorno! This is a bit of a different caper as it's not a recipe, but rather a quick guide to my favorite places to eat in Rome. I've been popping back and forth between Rome and London for a few years now as my parents have been living there. However, with their move to Naples looming on the horizon, I thought now would be a good time to tally up all the lovely meals we've had into this list. It's by no means an exhaustive list but I hope it will be useful to any Rome visitors who'd like to have a tasty and authentic meal without breaking the bank (which is very easy to do in Rome... so many overpriced and underwhelming restaurants!). I'm also including a few non-restaurant additions which are my favorite food purchases within the supermarket. Let's get started!

Rome Food Shopping Favorites: 

Apertif anyone?

When I'm in Rome, we have a lovely supermarket just down the street from our house... which gives me ample opportunity to pick up two of my favorite things: gorgonzola and prosecco! I prefer prosecco to champagne because it's slightly sweeter and, often, cheaper. It's one of those things I only really have in Rome since it would be pricier back in London and feel a bit over indulgent in our little London flat! The gorgonzola is "gorgonzola dolci" the older, sweeter version they sell. There is also a 'gorgonzola piccante" but that's a bit too sharp for my liking. If you're in Italy, or even just in a great supermarket where you live, try out the dolci version. Even if you're not a fan of blue cheese, I think you'd be hard pressed not to like this one! 

Izzy approves of prosecco! 

The Local: La Balestra (2, Via Simeto, Rome, 00198)

Inside La Balestra
This little restaurant is our local favorite in our area of Rome. My parents stumbled upon it and have been returning customers ever since. The place is family owned and judging by the fact that it's packed every night, obviously a neighborhood favorite. The menu is extensive with great pasta and meat options. I also had the pannacotta (my favorite dessert) and it was delicious. I highly recommend a stop here if you're in the Villa Borghese.

Steak with green peppercorn sauce

Asparagus with lemon and olive oil

Roman artichoke

Steak with balsamic vinegar glaze 

Pannacotta with blueberry sauce

The Cafe: Bar Ristorante Tre Scalini (Piazza Navonna)

Aperol Spritz! 

This was just a quick stop with Laure and Anna for a coffee in the lovely Piazza Navonna. What made it special was that Anna and I tried out the delicious Aperol Spritz - a combination of Aperol and prosecco. I'd never had it before and was pleasantly surprised. It's the perfect drink to enjoy on a hot afternoon. While Tre Scalini is hardly unique among the tons of restaurants and cafes in the piazza, it gets my vote because the managers were the only ones clever enough to take down a few umbrellas to create an area of outdoor seating in the sun (which was exactly what we were looking for).


The Pizzeria: Dar Poeta (33 Vicolo del Bologna, Rome, 00153)

Laure's mushroom pizza 

This restaurant is my hands down favorite pizza place in all of Rome. The prices are phenomenally reasonable (7-8 euro a pizza compared to closer to 20 elsewhere), the toppings are very original (buffalo mozzarella and courgette cream for example) and the staff are friendly. The restaurant is deceptively large with outdoor seating and two floors of tables inside. My absolute favorite pizza is the Lingua de Foco, a spicy option with tons of flavor. If you're in the Trastevere neighborhood and need a break from seeing the beautiful Santa Maria church, then this is a great place to have a quick snack.

Anna's buffalo mozzarella and artichoke pizza

The Gelateria: Pompi Srl (82, Via della Croce, Rome)

This gem in the heart of the touristy district in Rome was a complete surprise to me. Recommended by a colleague of Laure's in London, we decided to search it out since it's so close to several of the sites we wanted to take Anna to (Spanish Steps, Piazza Popolo, etc). The shop is also close to the Via del Corso, one of the main shopping streets in Rome so it makes for a nice stop off after running errands. The prices were really surprising with our fairly large ice cream cones coming in at only 3 euros each. The only downside is that there isn't any attached seating so you'll have to wander with your treat. However, we found a nice side street with some places to sit nearby. Highly recommend this gelateria for it's wide range of flavors and generous portions. I went for a lemon, strawberry and peach combo, Laure chose chocolate and vanilla, while Anna decided nutella and chocolate sounded best. We were three very happy customers!

Gelato power! 

The Overall Option: San Marco (38, Via Sardegna, Rome, 00187)

Spicy bread they bring before the starters
San Marco gets my vote for overall winning option because I've never had a disappointing meal here, despite trying several different dishes on the menu. This is close to the Embassy so it's often where I'll meet my Dad for lunch. They have pizza, pasta and meat options so it's a great place if you aren't sure what you're craving. This last visit had an extra bonus: Mom joined us! She had the best dish that day: lemon pasta. If it's still on the menu next time you're in Rome, I can't stress how much you need to order it. The pannacotta wasn't as nice as they've had in the past so next time I think tiramisu will be on the cards...

Wine and bread 

Pannacotta with strawberry sauce

Phew! Sorry for such a long post but I wanted to give the best picture of Rome dining as possible. I hope this helps for any future trips to Rome. While I'm sad that my parents will be moving in July, I'm looking forward to future food adventures in Naples! 

No comments:

Post a Comment