Thursday 30 May 2013

Chorizo and Chickpea Stew

So. This is awkward. It's been a shockingly long time since my last post! Apologies, apologies. However, I have a very good reason for this: I got a job! Well, sort of. It's a temporary position teaching a new summer school course at my university. Two weeks long, this course is designed to teach students who have just finished their first year a range of different skills that they might not have come across in their degree classes since they come from such a wide variety of subjects. For example, we have representatives from physics to english to history or art which makes for a really fantastic class mix. I'm really enjoying my time as a teaching assistant although it means that a lot of my other pursuits (like this blog!) have fallen a bit by the way side. The working world is tough! Although the class is short in duration, it is pretty full on in terms of contact hours with lectures and seminars from 10 am to 5 pm or even later some days. As TAs we need to be there for almost everything so it's been an exhausting week.

Chorizo and chickpea stew ready for the fridge
While I haven't been cooking too much this week, I have been focusing on my lunches since the short lunch breaks we have with the course mean that bringing my lunch with me in the morning makes a lot of sense (and saves money!). To this end, I made up a huge batch of this chorizo and chickpea stew at the weekend and basically have just been enjoying it with lots of extra veggies and tasty goodness piled on top every day for either lunch or dinner... and occasionally both! Inspired by an episode of Nigella Express, this recipe is perfect and super easy with only three main  ingredients. I added a dash of Greek yogurt and a sprinkle of fresh coriander the first time and ever since I've been basically just adding other leftovers to my bowl... all successfully since this dish is happy to share the spotlight. I added a few bits and pieces to Nigella's original recipe so I'll include those to the list below. The following pictures are of my most recent masterpiece with some beetroot salad, yellow bell pepper, feta and green onions. Finally, this recipe makes a massive amount but can easily be halved...

Couscous with a ladle of stew
Adding in the beetroot salad 
Bell pepper, feta and green onion on top 
Finished product ready to eat! 
Recipe inspired by www.foodnetwork.co.uk 
Prep Time: 1 min
Cook Time: 30 min
Serves:  6-8 

Ingredients: 

Splash of olive oil
1 onion, chopped
320 g Chorizo, sliced into half circles 
2 cans of chickpeas, drained
2 cans of cherry tomatoes with their juice 
1/2 tsp mixed herbs
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes 
1/2 tsp paprika 
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper 
30g Greek yogurt per bowl
30g couscous per bowl
Sprinkling of fresh coriander, chopped 

Method: 

In a large pot, heat the splash of oil over medium heat and add the onion. When it's beginning to become translucent, add the chorizo and allow to saute for a few minutes. Next, add the chickpeas and the tomatoes with half a can of water. Stir in the herbs and spices and leave to simmer for half an hour. While waiting, pour the couscous into a bowl and cover with boiling water (adding a half centimeter of water above the top of the couscous) and place a plate on top to keep in the steam. Set aside for fifteen minutes. When ready top the couscous with the stew and add a dollop of Greek yogurt and a tablespoon or so of fresh coriander. Enjoy! 

1 comment:

  1. oh my goodness. I am totally making this on sunday. DELISH

    ReplyDelete