Thursday 20 June 2013

Easy Oatmeal Berry Smoothie

When it comes to smoothies, I've been itching to try making my own for ages. However, I was always a bit nervous about trying it in a normal, low end blender because I thought the consistency might come out kinda weird. This proved to be completely untrue and I am now enjoying this tasty treat as I write this! The smoothie comes together ridiculously quickly and with  a little prep work the night before would be a tasty breakfast option especially if you have to eat and run! With 250 calories, it might not be the most robust meal but would definitely make a great snack later in the afternoon as well.

Strawberries de-stemmed and quartered

Frozen raspberries

I chose raspberries and strawberries for two reasons: 1) they're what I had on hand already and 2) they're some of the best low GI fruits you can find. I'm not a nutritionist by any means but apparently the lower the GI level, the less of an insulin spike/sugar crash you'll get later on. This also helps to keep energy levels even. Adding the oatmeal helps to make the smoothie a bit more satisfying.

Milk and ground oatmeal 

To prepare the oatmeal, I just popped it in my mini chopper (because I was worried my blender wouldn't get it to a nice consistency) until it resembled flour and had been all broken up. I made a cup of oatmeal this way so that I would have enough for several smoothies. I've stored them in a leftover pickle jar in the cupboard and I think they'll be ok for a few weeks.

Oatmeal after a whirl in the mini chopper

Everybody into the pool!

Seriously, this could not be simpler. It's literally a drop and mix kind of recipe. If you've been hankering after a cool and easy summer treat, this is definitely the recipe for you! I prepped my strawberries by removing the stems and quartering them the night before just so that they would be ready to use. Delicious!

Finished delicious smoothie

Prep Time: 2 min
Cook Time: 1 min
Serves: 1

Ingredients:

1/2 cup diced strawberries
1/2 cup frozen raspberries
1/4 cup ground oatmeal
3/4 cup semi-skimmed milk
1 tbsp honey or to taste

Method:

Pop everything in the blender and mix until it reaches your preferred consistency. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment