Friday 28 June 2013

Baked Falafel

Last week, I popped over to Borough Market with my lovely friend Charlotte, who was on a flying visit to the UK. It was amazing to see her after nearly five years! Plus, she was keen to visit sites around London that I might otherwise overlook because I'm so focused on my studies etc. Borough Market is definitely one of those places. It's really close to my house and yet I never go. Part of the reason for that is that the last few times I'd been, it had been crazy crowded. At 5'2, I don't do great in crowds and I really hate being constantly jostled. However, it seems they've undergone a bit of a renovation and it felt MUCH more roomy even though we're heading into the tourist months. While there we grabbed a spot of lunch and my falafel wrap was so delicious I decided to give it a go at home.

Ingredients

Chickpeas going in...

Chickpeas, onions and garlic

I've never made falafel before but it was super easy (if you have a food processor). I also decided to pop them into the oven instead of frying as a nod to trying to eat healthy. They were a bit more crumbly than the ones you'd get in a restaurant and I think that might be due to the lack of frying. Still, they were pretty tasty!

Ready to whirl!

Ready to roll

Ready for the oven!

We served these up with a beetroot salad (ready-made by Tesco haha), pickles, a tomato and olive salad, yogurt and hummus mixed with sriracha. Basically, I wanted to have all the elements of my Borough Market wrap without the bread and I think we succeeded! My broiler was acting up so I skipped the final 5 minutes which meant that my falafel didn't get that nice brown color but they were still delicious and I can't stress how easy this recipe is! I didn't change anything critical in the recipe from Generation Y Foodie, except that I used canned chickpeas because that was what I had on hand and increased the garlic. I also completely forgot to include the flour and noticed zero difference in the final version... oops!

Tasty dinner!

Recipe via www.generationyfoodie.com 

Prep Time: 2 min
Cook Time: 15 min
Serves: 5

Ingredients: 

1 1/2 cups chickpeas, drained
1/4 cup of water
1 medium onion, quartered
5-7 cloves of garlic, peeled
1/2 cup fresh parsley
Zest and juice of half a lemon
1 tsp black pepper
2 tbsp flour
1.5 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp baking powder
olive oil cooking spray

Method: 

Preheat the oven to 375F / 190C.

Whirl all the ingredients in a food processor until they are evenly chopped and the mixture has the consistency of cornmeal. Spray your baking sheet with olive oil cooking spray and roll the falafel mixture into golfball sized mounds. Place the falafel on the baking sheet and spray with the cooking spray. Bake for fifteen minutes. Next, turn on the broiler and leave for five minutes. Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment