Sunday 16 June 2013

Fromage Fort

This recipe comes as a result of the end of holiday scrounge to use up leftovers that I mentioned in the previous post. I had seen a version of this dish on Smitten Kitchen ages ago and been itching to give it a try. It's the perfect way to use up what's in the fridge since any type of cheese will work fine. All you need are a few bits of cheese to use up and a splash of white wine and you're set!

Possibly the world's worst photo of such a delicious dish!

Usually, you would pop all the cheese into a blender or food processor to mix it up but we didn't have one so I improvised with the microwave. This meant that I had to set the mix aside to set since it was pretty watery at first. It also meant that we had a nice intermediate fondue-esque stage that was a happy accident. Basically, any way you make this will be delicious! I had some cheddar slices to use up so I chopped them finely but grating any hard cheese would also be a good idea. I was very pleased with this and will definitely give it a go the next time we have leftovers from a wine and cheese party! I served it with veggies (again, using up leftovers!) but a baguette would also work perfectly. Finally, the amounts in the recipe below are not specific since it will depend on what you have to use up! Feel free to substitute any cheese you have on hand... I'm debating giving this a go with some leftover Yarg, Keltic Gold and Cornish Blue that I brought home with me... 

Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 5 min
Serves: Many

Ingredients: 

Brie, with the rind cut off.
Cheddar, grated
Blue Cheese, crumbled
Splash of white wine

Method: 

Mix the ingredients in a bowl and microwave in 20 second intervals, mixing between each microwave session, until you reach the desired consistency and the different cheeses have been incorporated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment